Some Fee Increases Set for 2020-2021
March 12, 2020 - At their Regular Board Meeting on Tuesday March 10, 2020, Parkland School Division's Board of Trustees approved the Fees & Allowances Schedule for the 2020-2021 school year. The approved fees outlined in the appendices of Administrative Procedure 522: Fees, are based on the current provincial funding model and adjustments may be required based on changes in provincial funding models. Fee increases are required to operate the regional transportation system on a break-even basis. It is important to note that this does not, and by legislation, cannot be a revenue stream for a Division to apply to instructional expenses in the classroom. The fee increases will offset Transportation's current operating deficit and offset anticipated increases in required routes, equipment and inflation. Key changes for the fee schedule include:
- New in 2020-2021 will be a fee charged to students who are eligible for grant funding who attend their designated school and who reside more than 2.4km away. Half-time Kindergarten students will pay $25 for the school year. Grades 1 through 12 and full-time Kindergarten (5 days/week) will pay $50. There will be a maximum family rate in this category of rider of $125.
- Ineligible urban students attending their designated school who reside less than 2.4km away will see an increase of $50 for half-time Kindergarten students up to $225 and and increase of $100 for Grades 1 through 12 and full-time Kindergarten bringing that rate up to $450. There will be a maximum family rate for ineligible urban riders of $1,125.
- Ineligible rural students attending their designated school who reside less than 2.4km away will see an increase of $50 for half-time Kindergarten students up to $150 and an increase of $200 bringing that rate up to $300 for Grades 1 through 12 and full-time Kindergarten. There will be a new family maximum introduced in this category of rider of $750.
- The fee for ineligible rural riders is being increased this year to $300 with the plan to increase it next year to be equivalent to ineligible urban riders. Fees are being increased to move fees for non-funded students towards the actual cost of transporting a student (~$1000) while minimizing the fees to funded students.
- These fee increases are anticipated to generate an additional $430,000. These additional revenues in conjunction with anticipated grant increases are required to offset:
- a current operating deficit of $500,000.
- Three additional bus routes anticipated this coming year to alleviate ride time issues in the Duffield, Graminia and Muir Lake areas. The cost is estimated at $170,000.
- Increases in contractor costs due to inflation could be $100,000.
- Increases in the fuel escalator paid to contracts as a result of the federal carbon tax and
increases in fuel prices $50,000.
- Contract changes related to changing the size of the buses in the Parkland Village area from the
current 71 passenger buses to 84 passenger buses to accommodate rider levels $10,000.
- Expenditures related to upgrading the equipment being used on the routes, this equipment has
not been updated or had a replacement program for some time. A scheduled replacement will be initiated to replace the equipment and ensure that equipment is replaced as it reaches the end of its useful life $55,000.
- Contribute to operating costs of the transportation department within Parkland School Division's Transportation Services Department.
Bus Pass Fee Breakdown
Ineligible Urban students attending their designated school who reside less than 2.4km away
|ECS (full day/half time)*||$175||$225|
|Grades 1 - 12||$350||$450|
|Maximum rate per family||$875||$1,125|
Ineligible Rural students attending their designated school who reside less than 2.4km away
|Kindergarten (full day/half time)*||$100||$150|
|Grades 1 - 12 and Full Time Kindergarten||$100||$300|
|Maximum Rate Per Family||No Max||$750|
Students attending a school other than their designated school
|Kindergarten (full day/half time)*||$235||$285|
|Grades 1 - 12 and Full Time Kindergarten||$470||$570|
|Maximum Rate Per Family||$1175||$1,425|
Eligible students attending their designated school who reside more than 2.4km away
|Kindergarten (full day/half time)*||-||$25|
|Grades 1 - 12 and Full Time Kindergarten||-||$50|
|Maximum Rate Per Family||-||$125|
|Private School ECS (full day/half time)**||$450||$500|
|Private School Grades 1 - 12||$900||$1000|
* ECS transportation is for full day kindergarten two days per week with alternating Fridays.
** ECS transportation is for full day kindergarten two days per week with alternating Fridays and applies only to students residing less than 2.4km away from their Private School