Parkland School Division School Board Trustee Elections will be held on Monday, October 18, 2021.
Parkland School Division has partnered with Parkland County to conduct the 2021 election. Parkland County’s Elections webpage provides information, links to election forms and documents and updates for candidates.
Election results will be posted on each municipality's website*:
- Parkland County Results (Wards 1, 2 & 3)
- City of Spruce Grove Results (Ward 5)
- Town of Stony Plain Results (Ward 4)
*Links to results will be added as they become available.
Become a Trustee
Alberta school boards help shape the future of local communities by governing the education of young people. The provincial government, through the Minister of Education, grants school boards the authority to make decisions regarding the direction and quality of local public education. Accountability to the public is entrenched through the election of local school board trustees every four years.
The key responsibility for trustees is to stay in touch with community stakeholders so that they understand and reflect in their decision-making, what all citizens value and want from their local public schools. It’s important to note that trustees do not represent any one school, neighbourhood or community. Rather, they make decisions based on the needs of the entire jurisdiction.
As elected officials, trustees have many responsibilities, including:
- Setting school jurisdiction goals that ensure students have the knowledge and skills that enable them to be better prepared for life;
- Planning school jurisdiction priorities based on provincial curriculum requirements, community input, available resources and best practices in education;
- Reviewing and approving an annual budget for the school jurisdiction based on curriculum requirements and strategic priorities;
- Developing policies to guide school jurisdiction administration and employees toward division goals;
- Ensuring residents of the school jurisdiction are regularly informed about the work and achievements of the school division;
- Advocating on behalf of the school community to decision-makers and stakeholders on important issues that affect education, and to ensure education is a top public priority;
- Ensuring regular opportunities for public input and access; and
- Evaluating the school jurisdiction’s chief executive officer - the superintendent of schools.
For all wards of Parkland School Division in Parkland County, the City of Spruce Grove and the Town of Stony Plain, Nomination Day is Monday, September 20, 2021.
The nomination period runs from January 1, 2021 through to noon on Nomination Day. Candidates wishing to submit their completed nomination package prior to Nomination Day will contact the Returning Officer by calling 780-999-0869 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
On Nomination Day, papers will be received by the Returning Officer between 10am and noon on Monday, September 20, 2021 in the Parkland County Administration Building (53109A Hwy 779, Parkland County, Alberta T7Z 1R1).
Nomination papers may be handed in by any person:
- Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance Form (Form 4)
- Candidate Financial Information Form (Form 5)
- Parkland County Candidate Contact Consent Form - updated February 8, 2021
At any time after noon on nomination day, nomination papers may be examined by an elector during regular business hours and in the presence of the Returning Officer. Every nomination must be accompanied by a deposit of $100.00. Cash, bank drafts and money orders are acceptable forms of payment; as per Ministerial Order MSD103-20, credit and debit card payments will also be accepted for the duration of the 2021 election year. Personal cheques will not be accepted.
Qualification of Candidates
To be nominated as a candidate in the school board election under the Local Authorities Election Act, a person must be eligible under sections 21 and 47 of the Local Authorities Election Act and sections 4(4) and 74 of the Education Act (if applicable) to be elected to the office, and not otherwise disqualified under section 22 or 23 of the Local Authorities Election Act.
Contact the Returning Officer
For more information regarding the nomination and election process, please contact:
Returning Officer for Parkland School Division
53109A HWY 779
Parkland County, AB T7Z 1R1