Board Highlights - March 1, 2016
March 2, 2016 - The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, March 1, 2016. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board approved the monthly financial report for the period ending January 31, 2016. Just over 42.8% of revenues have been collected for the year compared to 41.0% of expenses paid out to date resulting in total year-to-date revenues less expenses at $2.1 million dollars.
- The Board received as information the Fees Report as presented by Director of Business & Finance Mr. Jason Krefting. The report included a summary of Fee Revenues broken down into categories including:
- Instructional Material Fees (IMF)
- School Fees
- Course Material Fees (CMF)
- School Generated Funds (SGF)
- The Board approved a motion to establish an ad hoc committee to look at the whole area of Student Fees and to report back to the Board with any recommendations they may have at a future date.
- The Board approved the Fees and Allowances for Instructional Material Fees and Non-Resident Tuition Fees 2016-2017 with no changes year over year compared to the 2015 - 2016 Fees.
- The Board approved the 2016-17 School Calendar and approved in principle the 2017-18 and 2018-19 School Calendar. Those Division School Calendars are posted online. Parkland School Division strives to provide students with quality education beginning with access to the appropriate number of instructional days. In addition, the calendars also continue to support school-based professional learning opportunities for staff to focus on Division and school priorities.
- The Board approved revisions to Board Policy 15 - School Closure. Policy 15 addresses the issue of declining student population in schools and student viability in schools and renders Appendix A and Appendix B redundant and ensures compliance the Closure of Schools Regulation, Alberta Regulation 238/1997.
- The Board put forth Ms. Brogan Foley from Duffield School as Parkland School Division's nominee to the Alberta School Boards Association Zone 2/3 Edwin Parr Selection Committee. Schools were invited to identify a first-year teacher to serve as PSD's nomination and the Committee would also like to recognize Ms. Meghan Brohman from Stony Plain Central School who was also a finalist. The Alberta School Trustees' Association established the Edwin Parr Teacher Award to remember the long and meritorious service of past President Edwin Parr. This award recognizes outstanding first-year teachers in the province.
- The Board received as information the Financial Reporting profile which reported Parkland School Division's Accumulated Operating Surplus (AOS) and Capital Reserves in relation to the provincial average and average of jurisdictions with comparative enrolments. Parkland School Division's AOS to expense ratio was at 2.81% as compared to the provincial average of 6.36%.
- The Board received the Infrastructure Maintenance Renewal (IMR) Expenditure Report as presented by Director of Facilities Services, Mr. Serge LaBrie. IMR funding is designated to cover the replacement or modernization of operating elements in schools. The report included completed projects from the 2015-16 school year, work in progress as well as projects to be considered knowing the total cost of projects to be considered exceeds the available remaining IMR funds. Further investigation, priortization and discussion will determine which projects will be completed and which ones will be deferred. The Infrastructure Maintenance Renewal (IMR) funding for the 2015-2016 year is $1,767,682. There was a reported carry forward from the 2014-2015 program year of $866,142 giving a balance of $2,633,824. This year’s allotment is 21% more than the average from 2012-2015 which was $1,459,634.