Board Meeting Highlights - February 2, 2016
The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, February 2, 2016. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board of Trustees directed administration to gather additional feedback from stakeholders on Option A (Original Proposal) and Option B (New Proposal) for the new Attendance Areas for the City of Spruce Grove and surrounding area. The Board will vote on the Spruce Grove Attendance Areas at the February 16, 2016 Special Board meeting.
- The Board approved the monthly financial report for the period ending December 31, 2015 which represents a third of the fiscal year. Just over 34% of revenues have been collected for the year compared to 33% of expenses paid out to date resulting in total year-to-date revenues less expenses at $2.3 million dollars.
- The Board approved the revisions to Board Policy 1 - Division Foundation Statements. Alberta Education developed and approved an inclusive education policy effective September 2015. School authorities are responsible for deciding how this policy will be implemented within their respective jurisdictions.
In Parkland School Division, everyone is accepted and experiences a sense of belonging. Every student, no matter their ability, disability, language, cultural background, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, has meaningful contributions to make. The following belief statements guide our decisions and behaviours to ensure that we are creating environments and engaging in practices that have their foundation in fundamental Human Rights:
- The Board received as information the 2015-2016 Class Size Report. Alberta’s Class Size Information System is available for calculating class size averages at the school and jurisdiction levels. Class size averages measure the actual number of students being taught by a certificated teacher in one classroom. Parkland School Division's average class sizes reporting on 'ALL SUBJECTS' are as follows:
- The Board received as information the Occupational Health & Safety Report. It is the responsibility of Parkland School Division to attend to the details of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations and to respond to all changes to the Act and the Code which occur on a regular basis.
This past year the following tasks were completed:
- Assisted all administrators with proper usage of the PSD Health and Safety Manual including Safe Work Procedures
- Assisted all administrators in updating their site specific emergency response plans
- Planned health and safety training; some training courses are completed on a yearly basis such as:
- Health and Safety Orientation
- Hazard Assessment Training