Board Meeting Highlights - December 1, 2015
The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, December 1, 2015. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board welcomed a delegation from Tomahawk School to highlight work being done collaboratively with West End Area Schools including Tomahawk, Entwistle School, Seba Beach School and Wabamun School in the area of Career & Technology Foundations. This included a recap of how 4 rural schools in a large division came together to implement CTF challenges for their Grades 6-9 students culminating with a CTF Week Showcase.
- The Board approved the 2014-15 Audited Financial Statement presented by Associate Superintendent Claire Jonsson. Highlights include:
- Revenues over the previous year show an increase of $4.52 million (+3.9%)
- Expenditures over the previous year show an increase of $4.3 million (+3.7%)
- The cost of educating 10,374 students was $120 million
- The single largest classroom expenditure was for staff salaries and benefits. The average teaching cost was $110,452 ($98,958 excluding Alberta Teachers Retirement Fund costs). This accounted for 72.3 percent of all instructional expenses.
- PSD’s annual operating deficit is $6,341 which relates to a surplus from operations of $60,810
- PSD’s capital reserves amount to $4,008,898
- Capital projects initiated during 2014-2015 included:
- Prescott Learning Centre
- Ecole Broxton Park Modulars
- Network Infrastructure Refresh Project
- Student Information System
- Independent auditor PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, represented by Jeff Baker, delivered a clean audit opinion that the financial statements present fairly, in all material respects, the financial position of Parkland School Division No. 70 as at August 31, 2015 and the results of its operations, cash flows, change in net debt and remeasurement gains and losses for the year in accordance with Canadian public sector accounting standards.
- The Draft School Calendars for 2016-2017, 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 were presented to the Board of Trustees. The Board has directed Administration to circulate the draft calendars to stakeholders for feedback. Comments, questions and feedback may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to January 29, 2016.
- The Board approved Parkland School Division’s 2014-2015 Annual Education Results Report (AERR) as presented by Associate Superintendent Scott Johnston. The AERR for 2014-2015 addresses the previous year's achievement on each of the Alberta Education goals and its success in imporving results using the strategies developed by education stakeholders. The accountability results guide the decisions and focus areas for the upcoming Three-Year Education Plan and inform the assurance process by providing quantitative data to qualitative measures.
- The Board received as information a report presented by Associate Superintendent Dr. Dianne McConnell on Bringing the Outcomes of the Education Plan to Life in Parkland School Division. The update outlined examples of work either completed or underway that demonstrates the work being done in the areas of Inclusive Education, Quality Learning, Culture of Wellness and Universal Leadership.