Board Meeting Highlights - October 6, 2015
The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, October 6, 2015. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board received information including the 2015-2016 School Enrolment Report. Parkland School Division total enrolment as of September 30, 2015 is 10,668 students.
- Total enrolment reflects and increase of 235 students over numbers reported September 30, 2014. (+2.25%)
- West End Area Schools are down 13 students. (-1.65%)
- Town of Stony Plain schools are up 118 students. (+3.83%)
- City of Spruce Grove schools are up 83 students. (+1.84%)
- Parkland Village School and Graminia’s new students bring the total for Spruce Grove and area schools up to 141 students. (+2.7%)
- The Board welcomed as a delegation Grade 4 and 5 students from Seba Beach School who shared a presentation on how a Creative Learning Environment can equal success for all. This included a well-received ‘Brain Break’ that injected some lighter moments into the Regular Board Meeting.
- The Board welcomed as a delegation students from Forest Green School who highlighted their Early Literacy Program. Their presentation included an opportunity for students to read their own selections to the Board of Trustees and members of Parkland School Division’s Senior Executive.
- The Board received as information an Early Years Evaluation Report delivered by Parkland School Division’s Early Childhood Development Supervisor Raelene Finlayson. The Early Years Evaluation provides a systemic framework kindergarten teachers can use to structure their frequent observations and informal assessments in play-based learning environments. Parkland School Division’s overall results indicated a performance improvement of approximately 25%. 733 out of 894 kindergarten children were identified as performing at the appropriate level in the latest reporting period.