Board Meeting Highlights
The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, November 25, 2014. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board welcomed a delegation from three schools in Parkland School Division. Staff and students from Gramina School, École Meridian Heights School and Muir Lake School presented on the work being done with the ‘Leader in Me’ program focused on student leadership. Examples were given on how that particular program personified the Division’s priorities: engaging students, staff and community. Each student participating in the program has opportunities to participate in activities that build leadership qualities while becoming engaged students, ethical citizens with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- The Board approved the 2013-14 Audited Financial Statement presented by Associate Superintendent Claire Jonsson. Highlights include:
- Revenues over the previous year show an increase of $2,135,654 (+1.88%)
- Expenditures over the previous year show an increase of $2,234,443 (+1.96%)
- The cost of educating 10,200 students was $116,084,589
- The single largest classroom expenditure was for staff salaries and benefits. The average teaching cost was $109,150 ($98,462 excluding Alberta Teachers Retirement Fund costs). This accounted for 72.2 percent of all instructional expenses.
- PSD’s annual operating deficit is $188,975 which relates to a deficit from operations of $1,443,342.
- PSD’s capital reserves amount to $4,559,151
- Capital projects initiated during 2013-2014 included the installation of modular at Brookwood and Greystone Centennial schools. Modulars at Brookwood, High Park and Millgrove schools were completed along with the demolition of the old Memorial Composite High School.
- Independent auditor PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, represented by Jeff Baker, delivered a clean audit opinion that the financial statements present fairly, in all material respects, the financial position of Parkland School Division No. 70 as at August 31, 2014 and the results of its operations, cash flows, change in net debt and remeasurement gains and losses for the year then ended in accordance with Canadian public sector accounting standards.
- The Board approved Parkland School Division’s combined 2013-2014 Annual Education Results Report and the 2014-2017 Three-Year Education plan as presented by Associate Superintendent Scott Johnston.
Next Regular Board Meeting will be held on December 9, 2014 at the Centre for Education at 9:30 am