Board Meeting Highlights
The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, February 3 2015. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board approved the monthly financial report for the four months ending December 31, 2014. The year-to-date surplus from operations is $149,141 which is tracking toward the 2014 - 15 revised budget operating deficit of $977,959.
- The Board deferred the motion to approve the Fees and Allowances for 2015-2016 to the Regular Board Meeting April 8, 2015.
- The Board approved the Notice of Motion that will consider the closure of Keephills School effective June 30, 2015. This notice of motion is intended to launch a process that provides opportunity to consider all sides of the current enrolment situation at Keephills School, to hear from stakeholders and to prepare Trustees for informed conversation when the time comes to make a decision about the future of Keephills School. The Board's decision will be made at the Regular Board Meeting to be held Wednesday April 8, 2015. A timeline that aligns with the Province of Alberta School Act and Parkland School Division's Policy 15 - School Closures was also presented. That includes a public meeting to be held at Keephills School on Wednesday March 4, 2015. Written submissions in response to the Notice of Motion will be accepted between now and March 13, 2015. Delegations will also have the opportunity to present to the Board on Tuesday March 17, 2015 at 2:00 p.m.
- The Board received the 2014-2015 Class Size Report. School jurisdictions are required to submit class size information to Alberta Education and must post their annual class size survey results as part of the re-engineering of the Small Class Size Initiative grant. Parkland School Division was below the provincial average class size for all subjects for Grades 4-6 (21.9) , Grades 7-9 (22.4) and Grades 10-12 (25.9). The average all subjects class size for Grades 1-3 is 19.2 compared to the provincial average of 17.
- The Board received the Occupational Health and Safety Report. The Facilities Department continues to work on emergency response plans with individual school sites. Parkland School Division will be implementing a new Smart Phone App that will host Emergency Response Plans for all school sites within the Division.
Next Regular Board meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 9:30 a.m., Centre for Education