Board Meeting Highlights
The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, May 26, 2015. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board welcomed as a delegation Ms. Alexandra Ferguson, a Grade 10 student from Spruce Grove Composite High School. Alexandra holds the title of Ms. Teenage Spruce Grove and presented some of the initiatives she’s volunteering for including work raising awareness for hereditary Hemochromatosis.
- The Board recognized the recent accolades bestowed upon a pair of Spruce Grove Composite High School teachers, Scott Onuczko (Communication Technology) and Myra Rybotycki (Department Head, Art). Both were finalists for the Excellence in Teaching Awards. Scott and Myra were 2 of 20 finalists from a field of 290 provincial nominees.
- The Draft Board Meetings/Events Schedule for 2015-2016 was approved. The proposal continues to follow the policy of one Regular Board Meeting per month. An additional Regular Board Meeting has been added to the month of May. The proposed schedule also aligns with the Board Policy requirements regarding a minimum number of meetings per year for the Audit and Student Advisory Committees.
- PSD’s Superintendent, Tim Monds delivered his latest Superintendent’s Report including an update on PSD’s involvement with C21, Canadians for 21st Century Learning and Innovation.
- The Board unanimously approved the recommended name brought forward by the School Naming committee. The new school located in Spruce Grove’s east end scheduled to open during the 2016-17 school year will be called Prescott Learning Centre.
- A pair of Department Reports were received as information by the Board. Director of Learning Services, Leah Andrews, updated Trustees on the work underway in the Learning Services Department. Director of Information Technology, Mark Karaki delivered a report on the latest projects and updates from the world of I-T.
- The Board also received a detailed update from Parkland School Division’s Wellness Coordinator, Felicia Ochs. Included in this presentation was the latest video highlighting work from the PLAY Parkland Initiative.
Next Regular Board meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 9th, 2015 at 9:30 a.m., Centre for Education