Board Meeting Highlights - May 2, 2017
The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, May 2, 2017. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- Parkland School Division’s Superintendent of Schools, Mr. Tim Monds, is pleased to announce that Ms. Shauna Boyce has been appointed the role of Deputy Superintendent. In the role of Deputy Superintendent, Ms. Boyce will continue her portfolio which includes Human Resources, Facilities Services and Communications and will see an expanded role working directly with the Superintendent on Division initiatives and will be working closer with the Board of Trustees.
- The Board approved the monthly financial report for the period ending March 31, 2017. The year-to-date surplus is $2.25 million dollars.Total revenues are at 61.0% of the final budget of $127,538,751. Total expenses are at 59.1% of the final budget of $127,581,618. The target percentage for this period was 58.3%.
- The Board rescinded a previous motion that set the Fee Allowance schedule for 2017 - 2018. A new Fee and Allowance schedule was approved with one amendment which was to add an Alternate Seat Fee Maximum Family Rate of $750. Another amendment was made for rural families who live less than 2.4km and who attend their designated school. That fee was set at $50 per rider.
- The Board approved Policy 7, Appendix 7.3, Trustee Renumeration Schedule which included no changes from 2016 - 2017.
- The Board approved revisions to Policy 7 - Board Operations, Policy 8 - Board Committees, Policy 9 - Board Representatives and Policy 10 - Policy Making. The one revision that was made came in Policy 7, Article 12 Schedule B where the previous Allowable Per Diem and Expense Claim item 'Formal presentations to town/city councils or to specific provincial departments' was moved to Policy 7, Article 12 Schedule A: Basic Honorarium Duties.
- The Board received as information the Division's Report on Assurance Measures as presented by Associate Superintendent Scott Johnston. The report provides an exeutive summary of data that's been gathered so far that will be included in the Board's Annual Education Results Report coming in November 2017.
- The Board received as information the Financial Services Department Report as presented by Director of Financial Services Jason Krefting. Highlights include the reconciliation of $128 million dollars of revenue annually from grants, fees, donations and other sources including school generated funds as well as $128 million of expenses annually including payroll, supplies, infrastructure and school generated funds.