Parkland School Division operates one of the largest student transportation systems in the province serving Parkland School Division, Evergreen Catholic, Grande Yellowhead, Black Gold and Wildrose School Divisions plus area private schools. With a fleet of over 180 contracted buses, we provide services to over 10,300 students travelling 16,140 kilometres on a daily basis.
Legislation & Policy
Some important points to remember from the School Act and Parkland School Division’s Board Policy 17:
• From the School Act:
Subject to the regulations, the Board shall provide transportation of a student to and from the site of school in which the board has enrolled the student if the student resides.
a) At a distance from the site of that school to be determined by the regulations,
b) Within the attendance area established by the board under section 13, and
c) Within the boundaries of the district or division
- Students residing in the City of Spruce Grove, the Town of Stony Plain, and village areas who live less than 2.4 km and more than 0.9 km from their designated school are required to purchase an urban bus pass to receive bus service. For more information, visit the Bus Passes and Cross Attendance Areas Fees page.
- The distance of a residence from a school or from a bus route is the shortest distance measured along a travelled road or public right of way between the school site or the bus route, as the case may be, and the nearest roadway access at the boundary of the quarter section or lot on which the student’s parent resides.
- School boards are NOT mandated by legislation to register students with multiple or alternate pick-up and drop-off locations.
- With vacancy on buses and resources available, it has been recent practice by Parkland School Division’s Transportation Services to allow alternate locations for either pick-up or drop-off in situations where children have parents with joint custody or day home/daycare before or after school scenarios.
Space is Now Limited
When a parent or guardian reserves multiple locations for pick-up or drop-off, this occupies a seat on multiple buses even when its not being used. (For example, if a child stays with mom one week, dad on alternate weeks and a daycare each afternoon and all locations happen to be on different bus routes, that single child is taking up 3 spots on 3 different buses at all times.)
Transportation Services registered capacity is currently approaching full. As a result, alternate site transportation options are now under review. Existing arrangements and new requests will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis with approval required from the Director of Transportation Services. All arrangements will be reviewed annually.
New requests have to be located on existing routes with available spots on the bus in order to be considered.
Cross Attendance Area Transportation
Note: Once a Principal has granted approval to register at a school other than a child's designated school, transportation arrangements are the responsibility of the parents.
Bus transportation will be provided for students who choose to attend a school other than their designated school, provided:
- There is space available on the bus
- The bus does not have to be diverted from the regular approved route
- The receiving school has the space available to accommodate the child
- That applicable cross attendance area fees are paid
For further information, visit the Cross Attendance Area Transportation page.
Temporary Busing Arrangements
Temporary busing arrangements (two weeks or less) will be considered on an individual basis with the approval of the Director of Transportation Services.
Parkland is committed to providing a safe bus ride for all students and provides all bus operators with extensive training and support. All students learn how to ride the bus safely.
For the latest information on bus delays or cancellations, please visit our bus schedule.
Connecting you with the right person, the first time, is our priority.
Who do I call for...
School Attendance Areas:
General Parkland School Division Contact Information
Parkland School Division Centre for Education
4603 - 48 Street
Stony Plain, AB
Toll Free: 1-800-282-3997 (only in Alberta)