Crisis Hotlines & Community Resources
Most of these services are available 24/7 to both families and individuals in need. Click on the name of each service to learn more about it.
Child Abuse Hotline (24/7)
If you have reason to believe a child is being abused or neglected by their parent or guardian, please contact the Child Abuse Hotline to discuss your concerns.
Phone: 1-800-387-KIDS (5437)
Offers support by phone to children and teens during a crisis. Provides these services:
- Assesses children’s needs
- Offers information about community services for children and their families
- Offers support
- Teaches about mental health problems
- Makes referrals to healthcare providers if needed
- Arranges home assessments if needed
- Provides links to follow-up care if needed
- Allows access to a child psychiatrist
Distress Line (24/7)
We are available to talk anytime – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Crisis doesn’t take time off, so neither do we. When you make a call to Distress Centre, you will always get an answer, an open mind and a caring ear.
13 Reasons Why - TV Drama Content Warning for Parents
Recently, Netflix released Thirteen Reasons Why (13RY), a series based on the book by Jay Asher originally published in 2007. The series is a fictional story that is meant to be a cautionary tale. It tells the story of a high school student who experiences a series of terrible events-many of which are perpetrated by her classmates and friends. Hannah has died by suicide but before she died she made a series of tapes explaining what each person in her circle has done to hurt her. Each episode tells one part of the story focused on a painful event and interaction.
The Canadian Centre for Threat Assessment and Trauma Response issued a content warning for the series and cautioned those considering viewing it. This TV drama is not part of the curriculum on Mental Health and Suicide prevention and is not used in Parkland School Division classes.
For those parents looking for more resources to talk to their children who may have already viewed or are considering watching this series, check out the Talking Points developed by the Suicide Awareness Voices of Education (SAVE) and Jed Foundation.
Provides immediate, culturally competent, telephone crisis intervention counselling support for First Nations and Inuit, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Counsellors can also work with callers to identify follow-up services they can access. Counselling is available in English and French and, upon request, in Cree, Ojibway, and Inuktuk.
Phone: 1-855-242-3310 (Toll Free)
Kids Kottage (24/7)
The Crisis Nursery offers emergency respite to families in crisis by admitting their infants and children up to 11 years of age for up to 72 hours, free of charge.
There are several community resources in the Stony Plain, Spruce Grove and Edmonton Area able to help families and individuals in times of crisis. While not all are available 24/7, they may assist in the healing process following a traumatic occurrence.
Edmonton & Area - Counseling for Children
- 24-Hour Information and Referral - 211
- The Family Center (6-9 years) - 780-424-5580
- Victim Services - 780-968-7272
Grief Counseling Programs
- The Support Network - 780-482-4357
- Starfish Family Resources (5-14 years) - 780-448-1180
- Kids on Track Association (5-15 years) - 780-481-2942 ext. 7
- YWCA (4-18 years) - 780-423-9922 ext. 222
- Play Therapy
- The Grieving Parents Society of Edmonton - 780-451-5381
- Pilgrims Hospice (adults & children) - 780-413-9801
FCSS Counseling - Spruce Grove & Stony Plain
- Caring Friends Bereavement Support Group - 780-963-8583
- Exploration Through Grief Program - 780-963-8583
- Journey Through Grief and Mourning - 780-963-8583
- Living with Loss to Suicide - 780-962-7583
- Art Can Heal (Spruce Grove) - 780-916-6615
- Art Therapy (Joan Murdoch) - 780-963-3679
- Aspects Psychological Services (Stony Plain) - 780-963-7451
- Christian Counseling Services: The Healing Center (Stony Plain) - 780-690-2375
- Delta Psychological Services (Irene Wilkensen) - 780-218-6930
- FCSS Stony Plain - 780-963-8583
- Highlander Counselling & Mediation (Connie McCraig, Play Therapist) - 780-962-6313
- Sylvia Peske (Sandplay Therapy) - 780-960-1616
- Spruce Grove Children's Mental Health - 780-342-1370
- Stepping Stones Counselling & Attachment Center (Cara Linzmayer) - 780-643-7224
- Westland Family Practice Clinic (Dr. Betty Stevens-Guille) - 780-962-9393
- Westgrove Clinic (Adolescent Therapist) - 780-962-9888
For more information contact: