Attendance Areas & Designated Schools
Designated schools are determined by a child’s residence. Parkland School Division, with the authority of the School Act, has created an attendance boundary map system which identifies the designated school based on the child’s municipal address.
Parkland School Division serves only families who reside in the County of Parkland, the town of Stony Plain and the City of Spruce Grove. We currently have some out-of-jurisdiction students who are permitted to complete the program at their current school. No further out-of-jurisdiction students are being registered in PSD. If your family is not a resident of Parkland School Division, your resident school board is responsible for meeting your educational needs.
Once you identify your designated school, we encourage you to contact the school for a tour. A tour is a great way to give both you and your child an opportunity to visit, ask questions, and meet the school principal and some of the staff.
2017 - 2018 Spruce Grove Attendance Areas
Since Parkland School Division’s Board of Trustees determined the new school attendance areas in February of 2016, school administrators, senior executive staff and the Transportation Services Department have been working to transition students, staff and families into their new schools.
Here is what has been happening:
- Construction at Spruce Grove's second new K-9 School is now tentatively scheduled to open in time for the 2018 - 2019 school year. United Construction Company Inc. has been chosen as the builder and construction will begin in the spring of 2017.
- Kindergarten Open Houses are being planned. (See below)
- Kindergarten Registrations officially open Wednesday, February 1, 2017
- Grade 4 transitions to Middle School are always coordinated between schools and will continue this year
- School Principals are working as a team to ensure successful transitioning
- Prescott Learning Centre will add Grade 9 for the 2017 - 2018 school year.
- We continue to appreciate the support of so many parents who recognize the care and concern that is going into every level of detail in working through the logistics of transition for every student when it comes to the two year implementation plan since the new attendance areas were introduced in September of 2016. The goal of right-sizing our Spruce Grove Schools is a process and was always expected to take a couple of years. Some schools will continue to be very full until the opening of new School #2.
- New School #2 will open Kindergarten to Grade 8.
- Individual opportunities for cross attendance registrations are very limited. If you wish to explore attending at a school of choice please contact the school to see if they are accepting cross attendance registration at your grade level. Cross attendance opportunities may become available in specific grades and at specific schools depending on space and resources. This will be determined by the Principals at a later date.
- Until such time and the opening of Spruce Grove's second new K-9 school on the city's west end, some schools will continue to be over-populated.
Who Goes Where?
- Students currently enrolled in Kindergarten to Grade 3 in Spruce Grove and would be designated for New School #2 will remain at their current school for the 2017 - 2018 school year.
- Grade 4 students from Brookwood School and Millgrove School who would be designated for New School #2 will attend Woodhaven School for the 2017 - 2018 school year.
- Incoming Kindergarten students who would be designated for New School #2 will attend Brookwood School for the 2017 - 2018 school year.
- Grade 8 students currently attending Woodhaven School or Greystone Centennial Middle School who would be designated for New School #2 will remain at their current schools and transition to High School for the 2019 - 2020 school year.
Upcoming Transition Events
Tuesday, February 21st - (6-7pm) French Immersion Kindergarten Open House for École Broxton Park School in Spruce Grove and École Meridian Heights in Stony Plain.
Monday, March 20th - (Time TBD) Kindergarten Open House for all Spruce Grove and area schools. This excludes École Broxton Park School and Graminia School but does include Parkland Village School.
Wednesday, April 12th - (6-7pm) Kindergarten Open House for Graminia School.
Wednesday, April 12th - (6-7pm) Kindergarten Open House for Muir Lake School.
Wednesday, April 19th - (Time TBD) Stony Plain schools Kindergarten Open Houses.
Parents with questions are encouraged to call their current Principal. Please ask your questions and let us provide accurate information and assistance. We anticipate an exciting and smooth start up in the fall!
If you are unsure of your child's designated school, please contact Transportation Services at 780-963-8452 with your child’s street or municipal address.
Note: Our attendance boundary maps are intended to give you a good idea as to your designated Parkland School. To confirm your designated school please contact Transportation Services at 780-963-8452.
For more information contact:
Stony Plain, AB
How to Locate a School
Step 1: Filter our list of schools by area and grade level.
Step 2: Choose any school attendance area on the legend just right of the map.
Step 3: Enter the address you are staying at in the field marked 'Do you live within this boundary?'
Step 4: See if your pinned address is found within a school's attendance area.